An IP Address or Internet Protocol Address is a numerical label assigned to each device that uses the Internet Protocol for communication. It is an identifying number for a piece of network hardware. Read the below entire article for more info on What Is An IP Address | What Is My IP Address.
What Is An IP Address | What Is My IP Address
An IP Address serves two principle functions which are host or network interface identification and location addressing. Nowadays widely used versions of Internet Protocol are IP Version 4 (IPv4), and IP Version 6 (IPv6).
IP addresses are usually written and displayed in human-readable notations. The IP address space is managed globally by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), and by five regional Internet registries (RIRs) responsible in their designated territories for assignment to end users and local Internet registries, such as Internet service providers.
What is an IP Address used for?
An IP Address provides an identity to a networked device. Similar to a home or business address supplying that specific physical location with an identifiable address, devices on a network are differentiated from one another through IP Addresses.
How to Find your IP Address?
As there are a variety of devices and operating systems used worldwide, process of finding the IP Address also varies accordingly.
- There are lots of ways to find your router’s public IP Address but sites like IP Chicken, WhatsMyIP.org, or WhatIsMyIPAddress.com make this super easy.
- In Windows, you can find your device’s IP address via the Command Prompt, using the ipconfig command.
- Linux users can launch a terminal window and enter the command hostname -I , Ifconfig, or Ip addr show. For macOS, use the command Ifconfig to find your local IP address.
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices show their private IP address through the Settingsapp in the Wi-Fi menu. To see it, just tap the small “i” button next to the network it’s connected to.
- You can see the local IP address of an Android device through Settings > Wi-Fi, or through Settings > Wireless Controls > Wi-Fi settings in some Android versions. Just tap on the network you’re on to see a new window that shows network information that includes the private IP Address.
Hope you have got all the updated information on What Is An IP Address | What Is My IP Address. For more queries visit our site here What Is An IP Address | What Is My IP Address.